Thursday, December 13, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding


As if finally making a delicious roast beef wasn't enough, I made another personal favorite, yorkshire pudding. This totally reminds me of my childhood. My parents immigrated to Canada from Scotland so naturally I grew up on typical British fare. Yorkshire pudding was a staple in our house and had I known just how fussy they are to make, I probably wouldn't have taken my parents' efforts for granted. Although these require a good amount of precision, don't let that deter you from trying to make them. I'm thrilled with how these turned out and really, a roast beef dinner is just not complete without yorkshire pudding.

RECIPE:
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fat (bacon or beef drippings) for each individual yorkshire pudding you plan on making

Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth and there are air bubbles on top. Set mixture aside and allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put 1 tsp of fat into the bottom of each muffin tray you are going to use. Place the muffin tray in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Remove the muffin tray from the oven and immediately fill the trays with batter about 1/2 - 3/4 full (the fat should be hot enough to make the batter sizzle when filled.) Return the tray to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the puddings are nice golden brown (don't peek until after 12 minutes.) Serve immediately.

Makes about 12 yorkshire puddings

4 comments:

DocChuck said...

Madeline:

I am embarrassed to say that until recently, I thought that the "Yorkshire Pudding" that I had heard about was just a British version of egg custard or something similar.

When I finally visited the UK, I discovered what it really is and how delicious it is with one of my favorite comfort dishes on the planet, roast beef!

Damn, I felt stupid. But, in all honesty, I learned SO many things from the great people of the UK (especially Scotland and Ireland).

Now, I don't tell too many people when I "feel stupid." And I'm certain that one of my detractors will jump in on that statement with some "interesting" posts.

Rambling aside, I loved your post, and I REALLY love my newly acquired appreciation of "Yorkshire Pudding."

Thanks.

Madeline said...

What a lovely comment! Let me know if you make them, I'd love to hear how they turn out. Or just come back anytime and leave me another comment, reading it put a huge smile on my face, thanks ;)

MrsDocChuck said...

My husband is so modest. He has called himself "stupid," "idiotic," "imbicilic," and the like many times.

But often it's the nasal spray talking.

He makes "Yorkshire Pudding" with Jello pudding cups. It's a toothsome delight.

DocChuck said...

Well, Louise, also known as "chiffOnade", "therealchiffonade", "MrsDocChuck" and as dozens of other screen-names . . . it didn't take you as long as I expected to find another blog to infiltrate with your psychobabble.

One would think that after Food Network prosecuted you for harassment and SeriousEats kicked you off (oh yeah, you were "MrsDocChick" on that site) just a few days ago you would give it up.

Have you tried any more "suicide attempts" since your forth divorce, and the jailing of your daughter there in Clearwater, Florida, for selling illegal drugs, Louise?

Anyone interested in "chiffonade" can read about her on http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=21664823 OR on CassandraCrossing, OR on Kraft Foods Forums, OR on dozens of other food blogs and forums.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin